Research paper is a piece of academic writing that provides analysis, interpretation, and argument based on in-depth independent research. Research papers are similar to academic essays, but they are usually longer and more detailed assignments, designed to assess not only your writing skills but also your skills in scholarly research.
Purpose of Research Paper
Most research papers are written in order to fulfill a requirement for a class. In some cases, students may choose their own topics, but even then the purpose of the paper will be to demonstrate an understanding of the course material.
The purpose of a research paper is twofold: to present new findings and to critically analyze existing work in the field.
In many cases, a research paper will be based on previously published work; however, it is also possible for a research paper to present new findings. In either case, the purpose of the work is to contribute to the knowledge base in a particular field of study.
How to Write Research Paper
Here are some tips on how to write a research paper:
- Choose a topic that interests you. It will make the research process more enjoyable and your paper more interesting to read.
- Do some preliminary research to narrow down your topic and develop a thesis statement. This will help you focus your paper and make the writing process easier.
- Write an outline to organize your thoughts and structure your paper. This will ensure that your paper is well-organized and flows smoothly.
- Provide a good introduction and conclusion. Your introduction should make the reader want to read more, and your conclusion should sum up your main points.
- Include a work cited or bibliography page for readers who want to learn more about the topic.
Parts of Research Paper
Most research papers are comprised of four main sections:
- Title page
- Main Body
The title page should include:
- The paper’s title
- Your name
- Name of your institution
The abstract is a brief summary of your paper that should be no more than 250 words.
The main body of your paper will include:
- literature review
The references section will list all sources you used in your paper.
Also see Thesis